Published by Knopf Books for Young Readers on March 28th 2017
Genres: Action & Adventure, Fantasy & Magic, Young Adult
The thrilling first book in a YA fantasy trilogy for fans of Red Queen. In a world where social prestige derives from a trifecta of blood, money, and magic, one girl has the ability to break the spell that holds the social order in place.
Sixteen-year-old Anna Arden is barred from society by a defect of blood. Though her family is part of the Luminate, powerful users of magic, she is Barren, unable to perform the simplest spells. Anna would do anything to belong. But her fate takes another course when, after inadvertently breaking her sister’s debutante spell—an important chance for a highborn young woman to show her prowess with magic—Anna finds herself exiled to her family’s once powerful but now crumbling native Hungary.
Her life might well be over.
In Hungary, Anna discovers that nothing is quite as it seems. Not the people around her, from her aloof cousin Noémi to the fierce and handsome Romani Gábor. Not the society she’s known all her life, for discontent with the Luminate is sweeping the land. And not her lack of magic. Isolated from the only world she cares about, Anna still can’t seem to stop herself from breaking spells.
As rebellion spreads across the region, Anna’s unique ability becomes the catalyst everyone is seeking. In the company of nobles, revolutionaries, and Romanies, Anna must choose: deny her unique power and cling to the life she’s always wanted, or embrace her ability and change that world forever.
I received this book for free from the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book.
I’m so excited to debut another new feature here at What Sarah Read, called Book Buzzin’! Every so often, I’ll feature an upcoming release that I’ve read recently that I think you may want to know more about. I’ll share some of the positive buzz surrounding it and also link to retailers where you can purchase the book and any pre-order swag you can get your hands on. Today, I’m buzzin’ about Rosalyn Eves‘ upcoming debut, “Blood Rose Rebellion“!
- Kate at Nauti Girl Reads says… “Blood Rose Rebellion is a new and exciting historical fantasy that brings magic and intrigue to a whole other level! Rosalyn Eves has brought the scandal and rebellion of Downton Abbey to an 18th century Hungary! “
- Erin at The Book Nut says… “All in all I think this was a solid book. I definitely have high hopes for book two and I can’t believe I’m going to have to wait for more! Can’t we just have it now? Anyways I highly recommend this book for fans of magic and monsters as well as a bit of high mannered society.”
- Kirkus Reviews says…”Intrigue, romance, and revolution, with enough unanswered questions that fans will cross fingers for a sequel.”
- Publisher’s Weekly says…”This richly imagined historical fantasy enchants while contemplating sexism, classism, and how best to effect social change. Intrigue, action, and star-crossed romance abound, propelling this trilogy opener toward a heartbreaking yet hopeful conclusion.”
- Bustle says…”Inspired by Hungarian folklore, Blood Rose Rebellion is a book unlike any other, and a must-read for 2017.”
If you’re looking for a little something to give you a feel for this upcoming release, I just so happened to create this
magical mood board for you!