When I signed up for Sarah’s Fangirl Friday blog feature, the possibilities seemed endless. I could fangirl about SO MANY THINGS. Harry Potter (obviously), my love of Disney and fairy tale retellings, my passion for sports, my obsession with One Direction, my all-encompassing love for Friday Night Lights and The Office. But I settled on another show that I love and that I think more people should watch: Adventure Time!
Adventure Time already has a really large fandom; it’s been on Cartoon Network since 2010 and just signed on for season 8 (it’s currently in season 6). It’s always at Comic-Con, with lots of cosplay. You can find a million items on Etsy and I love it, including these inspiring bookmarks. It’s TV-PG but so much more than that. It’s dark and light, silly and serious, sad and hopeful. Most importantly, it’s FUN. Everyone from kids to teens to adults love the show and for good reason. Here are some of them in no particular order 🙂
The humor is often nonsensical and hilarious
The setting and characters are quirky and fun
There are lots of awesome ladies
On the surface, Adventure Time is a show about a boy and his dog being heroes and defeating evil. But beneath the surface is a much darker, sadder tale. The land of Ooo is set in a post-apocalyptic future about a thousand years after the “Great Mushroom War”, essentially a nuclear holocaust. According to Pendleton Ward, the show takes place “after the bombs have fallen and magic has come back into the world”. It’s mostly in background details, such as rusted out cars and abandoned convenience stores. But the back story is expanded on in many episodes as it affects the Ice King, Marceline, and Princess Bubblegum especially, and we have gotten some flashback episodes that fill in a lot of missing pieces about the world.
Good messages and themes of friendship, love, loss, grief, and more
SHIPS. Lots of ships. Lady ships!
Lastly, the ships. Ohhhhh the ships! I know you all love ships!
The non-ship ships
- The Ice King with any princess; no one actually ships this, but Ice King is lonely and most of his antagonizing in season one is kidnapping princesses to marry (lol).
- Simon and Betty: OTP. Ice King’s past self Simon and his fiance Betty (also a scientist), who does show up in a few episodes; she appears in the future (aka present show time), saves Ice King, and is looking for a way to free Simon from the crown’s influence.
- Lumpy Space Princess: she has a crush on Finn but is also always talking about her ex-boyfriend Brad. She loves dramaaaaa.
- Treetrunks the Elephant and Mr. Pig: total bizarre but what do you expect. They have a lovely wedding in later seasons.
- Fionna and Prince Gumball: he’s voiced by Nail Patrick Harris btw!
- Fionna and Flame Prince: same problem as Finn and Flame Princess below, natch.
- Fionna and Marshall Lee (my personal fave): Marshall Lee is a hottie, there’s no way around it. And the way he flirts with Fionna is just. Yummm. Plus, he plays guitar. He plays jokes on her and is evil but what can you do?
- Cake and Lord Mochro: Just like Jake and Rainicorn except a cat and an all black/gray unicorn creature
- Prince Gumball and Marshall: because of course
The real ships
- Finn and Princess Bubblegum: This was my ship for a long time. Finn has a crush on PB for years and it’s adorable, bt she always tells him she’s too old for him. However, they have some sweet moments together! And they’re very good friends.
- Finn and Flame Princess: Finn and Flame Princess both like each other and date for a bit but the fact that she can’t touch him without burning him is a bit of a problem. She also has a tendency to rage.
- Jake and Lady Ranicorn: They are dating from the beginning of the show and eventually have puppies together that have a mixture of both of their powers. Lady Ranicornalso speaks only Korean with no subtitles.
- Princess Bubblegum and Marceline: aka Bubbline aka THE BEST SHIP. OTP. The only ship you need. THIS IS MY CURRENT SHIP. Basically, there are all these instances in the show where PB and Marcie have a lot of tension and don’t seem to like each other
Let’s let After Ellen recap the ship’s origins:
“Princess Bubblegum rules over the Candy Kingdom, with a firm yet gentle hand and is Mensa levels of smart. Marceline is a bit of a rebel who plays a mean bass, and lives off the color red, not blood. A 2011 episode of Adventure Time titled “What Was Missing” caused a bit of a stir when it alluded to perhaps, more than platonic feelings between the girls. PB and Marci have a bit of contemptuous relationship that smacks of underlying teenagey feelings. At one point during “What Was Missing” Marceline sings a song directly to Princess Bubblegum that includes the line, “I want to drink the red from your pretty pink face.”
Well. How do you like them apples?
At the end of the episode it’s revealed that Princess Bubblegum sleeps in one of Marceline’s old t-shirts, and thus, a ship was christened and launched on the fandom seas. Ahoy, Bubbeline
YOU GUYS. SHE SLEEPS IN MARCELINE’S OLD SHIRT. And in a later episode, goes on a quest to help Marceline recover her teddy bear (her most precious item from when she was a child) that was stolen by a witch/ My feels you guys. Unfortunately it’s not explicit canon in the episodes because of some countries where they are aired (BOOOOO) but the creator said in an interview he considers Bubbline canon. So there is hope for the future!!!!
IF YOU’RE INTERESTED IN TAKING OVER MY BLOG TO FANGIRL YOUR OWN HEART OUT BE SURE TO SIGN UP BELOW!
DATES AVAILABLE STARTING IN NOVEMBER.